26 April 2009

Thank You For Being A Friend

video

One of Mr. B.'s favorite sitcom when he was younger is The Golden Girls. Why a young man would find the adventures of 4 old women living together in Miami and concern themselves with nothing but dating men, I could never understand. But Mr. B. said it's all fun and it has given him lots of laugh as well as insight into the minds of older people. More importantly, I believe Mr. B. learned some of his sarcastic attitude from watching Dorothy, Rose, Sophia and Blanche's zingers and one liners.

The Golden Girls is one of the very rare TV sitcom where all lead actresses won the Emmy. The opening theme, sang by Cynthia Fee also became quite popular and even hit the Billboard chart.

Last year, Estelle Getty, who played the Sicilian mother Sophia passed away due to dementia. Just yesterday, Bea Arthur, who played her daughter Dorothy died peacefully due to cancer.

To Estelle Getty and Bea Arthur, may you both rest in peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to watch 'the Golden Girls' in weekend when I was a little girl. Though sometimes I couldn't understand their humor (they are too old for a school girl lah~), I like them much! Four of them are all cute ladies. (especially the grandma, called.......Sophia??)
It's a pity to hear the news, but a good show will be last forever.

by Diana

Becker said...

I do not understand why Mr. B. likes it either because he was still young when he watched this show. Maybe he has the mentality of a grandma. In Chinese/Japanese, I believe it is called "Obasang". But don't tell him I told you.

Anonymous said...

I was very sad when I heard the news. I remember long long time ago, Mr B was taking me to a fancy French restaurant for my birthday. When we had finished our dessert I said to Mr B that I need to go home or I'm going missed the "Golden Girls". We rushed home on my motor bike and watched the show. Many many year later, I was on holiday in Madrid, I saw the DVDs of the "Golden Girls" in HMV. I bought it. I've been watching the show every night when I was in Madrid. It brought back all the wonderful, youthful memories. Oh, the good old days.
– A long distant friend.

Becker said...

Dear long, distant friend, Mr. B. told me he remembers the same beautiful memories. Most importantly, he wanted to tell you "Thank You for being a real friend to him all these years." God bless you.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails