10 June 2009

Specks Of Bother


I've been reading Joe Orton's What The Butler Saw in the last few days (okay, so maybe not ALL bears read but I do and I am on my last few pages). It is a two-act farce about a bell-boy caught in a dizzying carnival of chaos in a madhouse. A true display of human animality, I would say. I assume every living humans has read this otherwise you don't deserve to read this blog. Okay, I am just kidding. But really, the more I read, the more I am amazed at the absurdity of humans.

Tonight, Mr. B. appears quite upset about something. "A lot of things." he said. So i tried to be Doctor Prentice and ask him to make a list of the things that is bothering him this very moment. Here is his list:

1. The house is a mess.
2. I am late in paying the telephone bills.
3. I want to kill a rabbit in the farm.
4. I am fat and I need to go to the gym.
5. My cleaner is ill and I don't know how to help her.
6. My cousin hasn't called about the house in Gulang Island.
7. I have to pay so much money for income tax this year.
8. I have to get my hypertension medication.

Suddenly, I am lost for words. None of these things he mentioned ever happened to me. Perhaps these are human experiences. Humans have to deal with things we bears don't have to - pay bills, pay tax, deal with stupid rabbits, be a friend, be a son, be a lover, be a healthy person. I would probably go mad if I had to worry all about these trivial human things in my little head.

So I just give him a nice, warm bearhug and told him everything will be just fine (like they always say in American movies, even if the person being addressed to is dying).
.
I wish I could help him like D. always does, but for now I am sure he will appreciate my being here with him. I may not be able to clean up his house, but I will try to clean up those little specks of bother in his life. I promise I will.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

The prescription to Mr. B: Not to be a human.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails