19 October 2009

Mastering The Art Of Profitable Blogging


That human on the right is Julie Powell. Seven years ago, she started a blog/project in an attempt to cook all of 524 recipies in the classic cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking by the American legend Julia Child in one year. In 2005, the blog was rewritten into a memoir entitled Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen, the paperback version of which was retitled Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously. In 2008, writer/director Nora Ephron wrote the screenplay Julie and Julia and turned the book into a hit movie starring the great Meryl Streep and Amy Adams released last month.

While Meryl Streep was great in the movie, I am not here to talk about her acting. I am leaving that to the film critics. I want to talk about the power of blogging and how humans are profitting from it.

Not that making profit is a bad thing. I am just reflecting the fact that the original intention of blogging was to create an ongoing journal or commentary by an individual human to share his or her life and rantings online. In public. For everyone to read. And comment. Even if in the long run, their blog is never read by anyone but them. Blogs often become more than a way to just communicate; they become a way to reflect on life, love or just about anything. A few personal blogs rise to fame, such as Julie Powell's blog, which was made into a movie that opened a month ago (to huge success). The second movie based on a blog is Tucker Max's I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell (a huge failure), where he chronicles his drunken and sexual encounters, a misogynistic comedy I'm sure.

"So, will you sell your paws to be popular?" Mr. B. interupted my train of thoughts.

"It's not a bad idea, is it?" I answered. "I may save you from the funny farm and you don't have to work anymore!"

"Right...." Mr. B. said as he walked away which I found a bit insulting.

Anyhow, I really don't care about being popular. I just want to be able to share my observations and insights about humans in general. That was what I set out to do so that is what I am going to do.

"Will I be featured in your movie too?" Mr. B. shouted from the shower. Arrrgh!

video

Video: The great Julia Child with the chicken family.

3 comments:

brockolee91 said...

you will become famous one day!

Becker said...

i hope so too!!

Anonymous said...

one day? becker is already famous from my point of view.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails