08 November 2009

Humane Foie Gras



Last week has been particularly busy for Mr. B. having to entertain colleagues from various parts of the world. This would involve eating a lot of good food and drinking a lot of alcohol. Whenever he had the chance, Mr. B. would enjoy a nice slab of pan-seared foie gras de canard (that's pan-fried duck liver).
.
"Do you know that they gavage those poor birds to give you that rich, delicate, buttery duck or goose liver you are enjoying?" I ask Mr. B. giving him an accusing look.
.
"What's that?"
.
"Force feeding. Humans shove a metal tube down the birds' throats and force food into them so their livers will become abnormally large and full of fat." I explained what I read to him.
.
"Really? I thought they found a new and more humane way to produce foie gras?" he said.
.
"I think they have. They are now using rubber tubes!" I replied.
.
"Those poor birds! What about pate de foie gras? I love pate too!" Mr. B. said.
.
"Does it make any different? Pate is still 50% made of fattened liver from poor geese and ducks!"
.
I think there is no such thing as humane foie gras. A number of countries have laws against force feeding of animals or the sale of foie gras because of how it is produced. Some world-renown chefs have shown their support and refuse to include this item in their menu.
.
Humans are strange. They eat fattened goose liver and in turn get their livers fat as well. I cannot comprehend why they do that. I made Mr. B. promise not to eat foie gras or any form of pate anymore unless it is made from chicken or pig's liver.
.
"Just don't eat livers. They are not good for you anyway." I told Mr. B. as I hug him to console his loss of one of his favorite food.
.
In the meantime, the French law states that "Foie gras belongs to the protected cultural and gastronomical heritage of France." In short "we want our goose liver so buzz off!"


Photo credit: La Comptoir Gastronomique

1 comment:

brian said...

I also heard the same stories about the duck. Why do humans have to eat that?

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails