23 November 2009

Mr. B. By The Book


One of the most fascinating things I discovered about humans is that they actually make records of what they think. This is usually in the form of written words in pages and bound together to form books. Other humans would read them and learn from the experiences of other humans. It is said to be a very fulfilling act.

Mr. B. always tells me he should read more, that he is not reading enough complaining he usually feels too tired to do it after a day in the funny farm. Tonight, he came home carrying another thick book and placed it on top of all the other books he had beside his bed.

"You bought another book?" I inquired.

"Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol!" he said happily showing me the hardbound copy of the author's latest.

"But you just bought a book from your trip last week and you still have others you haven't finished reading!" I reminded him.

"I know," he said. "I'll finish them one by one in time."

I went to check the books he had on the side table and found 4 half-read books among the gossip magazines, Reader's Digest, Eyewitness Travel Guides and cookbooks. I wonder how he can finish them all when he only gets to read a few pages a night before he starts snoring.

"You should read this first!" I wave Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go in front of him. "They are making this into a movie!" Mr. B. was impressed that I knew.

"This one has been sitting here for more than a year!" refering to Mark Haddon's A Spot of Bother, who also wrote The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, which Mr. B. enjoyed a lot.

"I know! I never got to the middle part and had to start all over again 3 times!" he laughed sheepishly.

"And this Paulo Coelho novel?" I asked knowing that Coelho is one of Mr. B.'s favorite author and he has read many of his works.

"Too philosophical," he said. "Get me thinking too much making me hard to sleep."

"Well, good reading!" I told Mr. B.

As I walk away. I saw him checking out The Lost Symbol's book jacket to see if there are any hidden messages on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails