28 February 2010

Something New

"Mr. B., when you were young, what did you want to be when you grow up?" I asked.

"I think I always wanted to be an architect - to design buildings, homes, that sort of thing." Mr. B. answered while washing the dishes. "Why do you ask?"

"Because you are not an architect now so which mean you never realized your dream." I replied hesistantly.

"But that is fine. A lot of people set out to be something and ended up being something else, and they still do well."

"Do they ever go back to their original dreams? Or try to fulfill them?" I wondered.

"Some do. Some don't." he said returning to the dishes.

When humans are young, they dream of becoming someone or something when they grow up - doctors, teachers, singers or lawyer. Some of them realize early on that their dreams can never be, perhaps because of their socio-economic environment or simply they discovered that they simply don't have the talent. Others succeed in attaining what they aspired for early in life. I am just wondering who among them is happier?

"But of course, I was able to fulfill some of my little dreams." Mr. B. suddenly looked up from the dishes and talked to me.

"Really? Like what?"

"Well, I wanted to travel and see the world. I was able to do that. Not all the places yet, but I've done that a lot," he answered proudly. "I wanted to be a disc jockey and I was able to do that for 3 years."

"Do you still dream of new things, Mr. B.?"

He wiped his hands and carried me to the couch. "Sometimes, yeah. Like the novel that I wanted to write that I never really started." he said. "I wanted to have my own house, too."

"Then you can be the architect of your own house?"

"Something like that."

I realized that a lot of humans do not stop dreaming. If old ones fail, new ones come. Perhaps that is the thing that keeps them going - to wake up to something new, too see a different view, architects of their own little and big dreams.

2 comments:

siennalee said...

the worst thing is to stop dreaming. this is when people lose all the desire the see the beautiful things in life!

Becker said...

i agree with you!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails