30 April 2010

Quitters United


"You must be an evil, evil boss." I told Mr. B. after he announced that someone just quit on him today making the body count 5 out of 10 in the past 3 months.

"Thanks for making me feel better." he said dryly. "I don't think I am that evil."

"Well, someone must be then. Otherwise, why would they quit?" I said thinking he might feel better if I put the blame on someone else.

"I really don't know. It's too complicated." he avoided answering my question directly as he always does.

I know Mr. B. is a nice guy and I am sure he believes that he is caring and generous to the people who work in his team. But I learned that being a part of a larger team or organization. it sometimes get a little complex. It is not a matter of ability and skill but who you know and what others think of you. So I decided that when it comes to the subject of quitting, there are a few types of people: those who are fired from their jobs, those who quit their jobs, and those who quit their jobs before they get fired. All of them have one thing in common - they pack their things and disappear leaving behind a trail of unfinished works, unending criticisms from others and a boss with a hole in his head.

Some quitters think they ended their "sufferings" and make sure people who are left feel bad. Some quitters instinctively know that their days are numbered because of poor performance and choose to escape to a safer haven and start all over again. But I think most quitters sincerely believe that they are better than what others think and believe that they deserve something bigger. This is where most of the problems lie. Differences in perception. Which can lead to disastrous ending. Like quitting. Mass quitting.

"What you need, Mr. B. is someone who thinks exactly like you," I told him. "Someone who has the flair, who is charismatic, intelligent and at the same time street smart, creative, and does not require a lot of resources."

"I wonder who that could be?"

"That would be me." I said with a large grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails