01 April 2010

To Love Him


"I do not understand this," I asked Mr. B. tonight. "How come humans do these things during Good Friday?"

"What do you mean?"

"Like, I read that some people do not eat, some whip themselves or carry a big wooden cross around or even have themselves nailed on the cross. Is this the way they show their love to God?"

"Yes, I believe that is what they think they are doing." Mr. B. answered.

"But why would they want to do that? Why would they want to hurt themselves?"

"Because they think that by doing do, they are cleansing their sins. It is called an act of penance." Mr. B. explained patiently.

"That is the part that I don't understand, Mr. B.," I said. "If Jesus already died for the sins of every human beings, why do they still need to do the things they do?"

"I wish I know the answer to your question but I don't." he replied as he walked away to prepare his meatless supper.

Humans are strange. They do things they think they need to do to please God. They donate money, they help the poor, they fast, they hurt themselves. But if they were to believe and have faith to what they should be believing and have faith in, they should really do... absolutely nothing! Because if Jesus already died for everyone, there is really not much else to do - all their debts are paid for. And if they think that they are doing what they are doing because that is what God wanted them to do, it is even stranger. That would mean that God's love is conditional.

I sat silently beside Mr. B. as he ate his meatless supper. I wanted to ask him what the purpose of not eating meat is, but I bit my tongue. Mr. B. is human. Therefore he is strange too.


Video : "I Don't Know How To Love Him" by Yvonne Elliman from Jesus Christ Superstar

2 comments:

siennalee said...

beautifully said.

Becker said...

thank you, siennalee.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails