What are you hungry for this weekend? Mr. B. enjoys a hearty rice dish, so I am making my very own version of Jambalaya! Purists may frown upon my use of ingredients or cooking method, but let me tell you that this dish came out really, really great! So go ahead and try it, I promise you'll enjoy it.
6 - 8 large prawns, shelled
2 Andouille sausages, cut into tidbits
1 - 2 boneless chicken drumsticks, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 large green bell pepper, diced
2 - 3 stalks celery, diced
1 can tomato in juice, diced and reserve juice.
1 can black beans, discard juice.
2 - 3 cups cooked rice
Herb garden seasoning blend (you can use Mexican spice blend as well)
Freshly ground pepper
Dash of salt
1. Cook sausages and chicken in virgin olive oil until done. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, cook the onion, green pepper and celery until soft.
3. Pour in diced tomatoes including the juice and let boil.
4. Put sausages and chicken back into the pan.
5. Pour in the black beans.
6. Add herbs and pepper. Add salt to taste.
7. In a separate pan, sear the prawns until half cooked.
8. Put prawns into the mixture and bring to boil.
9. Add in cooked rice and carefully mix the whole thing until evenly distributed.
This can serve 4 people. Best eaten while piping hot!!