31 August 2010

The Chill Factor

Wikipedia defines phobia as an irrational, intense and persistent fear of certain situations, activities, things, animals, or people. In the complicated psychology of humans, there are many of them. There is even fear of phobia itself - called phobophobia.

Mr. B. has two biggest fears in life - being in a body of water and driving. He never had any traumatic experiences in his life as far as drowning or accident are concern unless you count the incident many years ago when he got into a water slide and became totally hysterical after being dropped into the pool, which he very quickly discovered was actually up to his navel only in depth. But that trauma mostly came from the humiliation than anything else.

I always thought that swimming and driving are basic skills in life but somehow Mr. B. never came around to conquer his fear on these two activities. That is why he recently started seriously considering taking swimming and driving lessons. Because we don't have a pool or a car at home, I told him to enroll in a training school. He started holding his breath and showed signs of panic.

"That is very silly, Mr. B.," I told him. "At some point in your life, you must start driving and swimming is a great way to lose weight."

"I know. But I can't help it if I panic easily." he answered catching his breath.

"Imagine how cool it would be if you are slim and driving a really stylish car!" I said trying to convince him.

"Yeah, I can picture that," he said. "But I am not sure I can go through it."

"You can motivate yourself like, say, you can buy nice clothes or have a grand vacation once you completed your training. Wouldn't that be great?" I said.

"I don't know. I get all anxious just thinking about it." he replied.

"You're so useless." I said turning away from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails