23 September 2010

The Ambivalent Chef

Mr. B. recently receive a wonderful gift from a group of wonderful people. It has been in his wish list for many years and he was so excited to finally receive it. It is the King of Cookware - Le Creuset!! For those not very familiar with culinary arts, this colorful enameled cast iron cookware is the ultimate in elegance as well as quality.

For two days now, Mr. B. has been staring at the two French ovens he received not knowing what to do with them.

"Why don't you impress me with some Beef Bourguignon?" I told Mr. B.

"I never tried that one before. Let me check the recipe," he replied. "I am not sure I can do it right."

"That's fine, Mr. B., I can wait. If you do, I will feature it in my blog." I said as I walk away.

Life, I believe, is like cooking. Even when you have the recipe, you can never be sure you will get it right. You may fail the first time even when you follow the recipe to the dot. Then you will have to try again. The important thing is to take action and do it - get the ingredients, turn the stove on and start cooking.

I understand that there are many uncertainties Mr. B. is facing in life at this moment. If I can only convince him to make a move, make plans and just do it, perhaps having that Beef Bourguignon will not be a long wait.

I walked back to Mr. B. and saw him flipping through a Le Creuset cookbook. "Here it is, Becker. Beef Bourguignon recipe!" he said excitedly.

I gave him a warmest bearhug and told him we will do it together and that I believe in him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Becker,
Tell Mr. B don't think too much. Just start cooking! u never know how's the result and how it taste without any start, right?

BTW, princess said she's glad to know that Mr. B love the cookware and is looking forward to taste the risotto made by him.

by panda

Becker said...

dear panda, mr. b. is still reading his cookbook. but he hasnt stopped cooking although he is using other cookwares to do it.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails