Sweet potato is one of the most nutritional foods for humans so instead of the usual potatoes, I am using this to make today's croquette. This deep-fried goodie is originally a French invention but has gained worldwide popularity that every other country has its own version. I hope you will enjoy this one!
5 medium size red sweet potatoes
200 gm ground beef (or pork whichever you prefer)
1/2 onion, minced
Cayenne pepper powder
All -purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
Breadcrumbs (preferably panko)
Salt and pepper
1. Peel and steam sweet potatoes (whole) until done.
2. Mash, season with ground nutmeg and set aside.
3. In a pan, heat some olive oil and saute onions and ground beef.
4. Generously season beef with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika.
5. Once the beef is cooked, mixed it in with the mashed sweet potato and combine thoroughly.
6. Shape the into round balls or flat patties or whatever shape you like.
7. Dip the croquette ball into flour, then beaten egg, then panko bread crumbs.
8. Deep fry for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy outside.
Yummy!! I was able to make around 2 dozens of croquettes from this recipe. By using sweet potato, the result is sweet tasting, smooth mash with bits of spicy, smokey beef inside. Perfect!!